In their latest round of exploratory peace talks, representatives of the Thai government and southern rebel groups agreed Friday to discuss a limited ceasefire at future meetings, including a proposal by a network of women’s groups in the conflict zone.
“The Thai peace-talk team addressed the Thai PM’s concerns and wish to end violence on the ground before all else. This coincided with Deep South women activists’ demands for safety zones,” Gen. Aksara Kerdpol, chief of the Thai negotiating team, told reporters upon returning to Bangkok on Friday afternoon from the meeting in Kuala Lumpur.
“So we passed these demands on to the dissidents [Party B] so they may consider them, reply in writing, or place them on the agenda for the next meeting,” he said, referring to the rebel side.
Abu Hafiz Al-Hakim, the spokesman for MARA Pattani, a panel representing rebel groups and factions, said both sides agreed to talk about safety zones at future meetings. No date was given for when the next encounter would take place.
“We are now seeking NGOs to come up with proposals on safety zones; as they are on the ground, they know the situation better. … At the moment, we have one from Women’s Agenda for Peace, an all-women based NGO. The NGO has a network of 23 civil societies in the Deep South and they’re pushing for peace,” he told BenarNews.
“I won’t say today’s meeting is a big step forward, but it is a step forward, as we had many obstacles before,” Abu Hafiz said, adding, “and now we have agreed upon talking about an important stage – which is safety zones.”
Representatives from Malaysia, which is brokering the peace process, declined to comment.
Bombings ‘not an expansion’ of insurgency
The three-hour meeting in the Malaysian capital marked the first time that full delegations from both sides had met since late April in efforts to resume formal talks, stalled since 2013, for ending a long-running separatist insurgency in Thailand’s predominantly Muslim Deep South.
After the April meeting, Kerdpol said both sides had to agree to so-called safety zones – or a limited ceasefire – before Thailand could agree to ground rules for formal peace talks, or Terms of Reference (TOR).
In mid-August, technical teams from the two sides hammered out a revised TOR, but neither Kerdpol nor a spokesman for the rebels divulged any details about that on Friday.
Friday’s meeting took place despite deadly bombings last month that targeted tourist areas in Thailand’s upper south, which Thai officials have linked to people from the Deep South. Eleven bombings killed four people at tourist sites across the upper south on Aug. 11-12.
However, Deputy Prime Minister Prawit Wongsuwan said Friday he was confident that the attacks did not signify a widening of the insurgency that has killed more than 6,000 people in Thailand’s southern border region since 2004.
“I am confident the attacks were not the expansion [of insurgent operations], but a political issue,” Prawit told reporters in Bangkok, suggesting that someone had funded the attacks to instigate unrest.
Full story: BenarNews
Razlan Rashid, Hata Wahari and Pimuk Rakkanam, Kuala Lumpur and Bangkok. Rapee Mama in Narathiwat, Thailand and Nasueroh in Pattani, Thailand contributed to this report.
Copyright ©2016, BenarNews. Used with the permission of BenarNews.