At least 35 people, mostly young children, have become ill and three babies died in Pingliang city in Northwest China, after consuming contaminated milk.
Preliminary investigations have shown that the victims died from nitrate poisoning after drinking milk supplied from a local dairy farm. According to a local government statement, two dairy farms have been shut down and are currently being investigated. Nitrate is usually used in dyes and to cure meats. In an effort to clean up the dairy industry, the government shut down nearly 1,200 dairy farms last week.
Read more: Wikinews.org