TAT advice on the Royal Religious Rites and status of attractions and events during the Mourning Period
As Thailand is currently in a period of national mourning after the passing of the beloved monarch His Majesty King Bhumibol Adulyadej, many thousands of mourners have gathered around the Grand Palace in Bangkok to be present for the royal religious rites and ceremonies taking place and to pay their respects to the father of the nation. The Tourism Authority of Thailand (TAT) would like to ask that members of the public stay updated via media announcements and notices from the Bureau of the Royal Household as well as the Royal Thai Government to ensure accurate information. We also request that the solemnity of these rites are observed and the visitors – local and international – wear respectful attire.
In the period of national mourning, some festivals and activities in the kingdom have been cancelled or postponed. Other events will go ahead as planned but may be toned down as a mark of respect. Please see the list of events that are postponed or cancelled below.
The TAT would like to recommend that any visitors with travel or tourism plans reconfirm with agents and check local media regularly as well as follow the advice of the local authorities for announcements and updates. They should also be aware that in some areas transportation could be affected. We also ask tourists and visitors for their understanding and patience should they experience delays or some routes may be closed to traffic.
Status of tourist attractions
|– The Grand Palace and The Temple of the Emerald Buddha||Closed 14-20 October 2016|
|– Wat Pho (The Temple of the Reclining Buddha)||Open as usual|
|– Wat Arun (The Temple of Dawn)||Open as usual|
|– National Museum Bangkok||Open as usual (09.00-16.00 Hrs.)|
|– Queen’s Gallery||Closed 14-16 October 2016|
|– Ratchadamnoen Boxing Stadium||Closed until further notice|
|– Lumpini Boxing Stadium Ramindra||Closed for one month from October 2016|
|– Hellfire Pass Memorial Museum||Closed 14-16 October 2016|
|– The Alcazar Cabaret, Pattaya||Open as usual (daily show times at 17.00, 18.30, 20.00 and 21.30 Hrs., but the last show has been cancelled until end of October 2016|
|– Tiffany’s Show, Pattaya||Open as usual (daily show times at 18.00, 19.30 and 21.00 Hrs.)|
|– Muay Thai Live at Asiatique The Riverfront||Closed, until 17 October 2016|
|– Siam Niramit||Open as usual (17.00-20.00 Hrs.)|
|– Phuket Simon Cabaret||Open as usual (18.00-22.30 Hrs.)|
|– Calypso at Asiatique The Riverfront||Open as usual (no alcohol)|
|– The Square Buddha Amulet Market, Bangkok||Closed until further notice|
|– Chiang Mai Walking Street on Saturday and Sunday,
& Chiang Mai Night Bazaar
|Open as usual (17.00 – 23.00 Hrs.)|
Status of events and cultural festivals, events cancelled
– Buffalo Racing Festival 2016, Chon Buri 9-15 October 2016.
– Nakhon Phanom Illuminated Boat Procession 9-17 October 2016.
– Oasis: Supersonic – Thailand Premiere, Bangkok 17 October 2016.
– Morrissey Live in Bangkok 18 October 2016.
– Scorpions 50th Anniversary Tour 2016, BITEC, Bangkok 26 October 2016.
– 2016 Lee Jongsuk Fan Meeting Variety in Bangkok, Thunder Dome, Bangkok 28 October 2016.
– BIGBANG Made [V.I.P] Tour in Bangkok, IMPACT Arena 29-30 October 2016.
– Ghost Fair at Mega Bangna, Bangkok 20-31 October 2016.
– Bangkok Symphony Orchestra 2016 – The Sound of Thai Heritage 21 October 2016.
– Yi Peng Chiang Mai 12-15 November 2016.
– Pattaya Loi Krathong Festival 14 November 2016.
– Pattaya International Fireworks Festival 25-26 November 2016.
– New Year Celebrations, Pattaya 31 December 2016 – 1 January 2017.
Many local and international concerts and performances have also been cancelled
Events postponed indefinitely or to new dates
– The End of the Buddhist Lent at Indo-China Market, Mukdahan 14-16 October 2016.
– Concert Moderndog at IMPACT Muang Thong Thani 15 October 2016.
– Concert ECTat Bitec Bangna, Bangkok 15 October 2016.
– Group Riding Bangkok 16 October 2016.
– FB Battery River Kwai Half Marathon at Kanchanaburi 16 October 2016.
– Chanthaburi Scenic Marathon 29-30 October 2016.
– Harmony World Puppet in Kanchanaburi 2016 (1-7 November 2016 (new dates 20-26 February 2017).
– Krabi Adventurous Trophy 2016 4-5 November 2016.
– Bangkok Street Show 2016 at Lumpini Park 10-12 December 2016.
Events going ahead but scaled back
– Rap Bua Festival at Bangphli, Samut Prakan, 12-15 October 2016.
– Poi Lynn Sib Et Festival, Mae Hong Son, 14-16 October 2016.
For more information on status of events, please contact TAT domestic offices or TAT Call Centre: 1672.
Tourism Authority of Thailand
International Public Relations Division
Tel: +66 (0) 2250 5500 ext. 4545-48
Fax: +66 (0) 2250 0246