Thailand News

Breaking news headlines

Thai spa business suffers from lack of personnel

Breaking News

Breaking News. Image: GoodManPL (Pixabay).


BANGKOK, 21 February 2012 (NNT) – Thai spa operators are now facing a crisis due to the shortage of therapists, given that many have been recruited to work overseas.

Chairman of the Federation of Thai Spa Apichai Jearadisak revealed that currently the Thai spa business has lost its workforce, especially spa therapists, to overseas spa operators in China, the Middle East and Europe. He admitted that the pay abroad is twice as much as the rate offered in Thailand. He also pointed out that spa businesses in foreign countries choose to recruit Thai therapists due to their long training period and good skills.

During the past year, Thailand’s health spa business welcomed 5.5 million clients, generating revenue of 14 billion baht. For 2012, it is estimated that the business will grow by 7-10%, which will in turn push revenue up to stand at 15.5 billion baht. 60% of the clients are foreigners while the remaining 40% are Thai nationals.

Read more: NNT