Thailand News

Breaking news headlines

Suvarnabhumi a major channel for smuggled pseudoephedrine pills: police

1 min read
Thai Airways check-in counters at Suvarnabhumi International Airport

Thai Airways check-in counters at Suvarnabhumi International Airport passenger terminal, Bangkok. Photo: Mattes.


The Department of Special Investigation (DSI) yesterday revealed that about 83 per cent of the smuggling of cold medicine with pseudoephedrine happened through Bangkok Suvarnabhumi Airport, while the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) is considering ending imports of the cold medicine after one year.

DSI chief Tharit Pengdit spoke yesterday at a seminar on the matter by the Thai Journalists Association and the Isara Institute Thai Press Development Foundation. He said the DSI investigation found that about 17 per cent of the pseudoephedrine medicine was siphoned off the public health system while the rest 83 per cent was smuggled through Suvarnabhumi Airport as well as the southern border. Hence the authorities must tackle such smuggling channels besides acting against those siphoning off the medicine from hospitals.

Read more: The Nation

By The Nation


Leave a Reply

By using the site you agree and accept the terms of this Privacy and Cookies Policy. more information

The cookie settings on this website are set to "allow cookies" to give you the best browsing experience possible. If you continue to use this website without changing your cookie settings or you click "Accept" below then you are consenting to this.

Close